× This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

CANdapter Support

• NiallDarwin
  • NiallDarwin's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 week 6 days ago #234 by NiallDarwin
CANdapter Support was created by NiallDarwin
Hi,
I'm trying to use SavvyCAN with a 'CANdapter' device from Ewert. It didn't work straight away and there seems to be no search results on the web for SavvyCAN CANdapter so I thought I'd ask if it's possible. That way I should at the very least create a Google whack :)

If anyone knows how to make it work as-is I'm all ears. If not, can it be something added to a future release?

Thanks,
Niall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #235 by collink
Replied by collink on topic CANdapter Support
Well, I was not familiar with that adapter. Unfortunately there are many, many adapters out there and they rarely work the same way. But, I looked up that adapter and it seems to utilize the "LAWICEL" serial protocol. They don't say that explicitly but I recognize the command format. As such, if you are using LINUX you should be able to use slcan to turn the adapter into a socketcan device and then use it in SavvyCAN that way. Otherwise I might add support for LAWICEL directly as it actually is somewhat of a pseudo-standard.

• NiallDarwin
  • NiallDarwin's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #236 by NiallDarwin
Replied by NiallDarwin on topic CANdapter Support
Thank you for the quick response. I don't doubt that there's a plethora of adapters out there all ever so slightly different. Sadly I'm not so smart as to be using Linux; I'm on a Win 7 machine. I'll check my options for supported adapters. The EVTV ones look great but I'd like to get something working sooner so hopefully I can source something within NZ.
Thanks again for the quick answer.
Last edit: 1 week 5 days ago by NiallDarwin. Reason: Bad grammrs 'n stuff

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds